Saturday, February 26, 2011

Week 8 Part III

Artisan Bread as Pizza Dough

Since I purchased my domed bread baker, I have been messing around with No Knead Bread for a month or so. I wondered if this variation of a sourdough would work well as pizza crust.

This is a fairly wet dough, so it is a bit tricky to roll out. I started by retrieving a grapefruit size ball of dough from my dough stash. (see recipe note) The dough was carefully shaped into a ball, using much flour on my hands and some on the dough ball. I gave the dough ball 5-10 minutes to rest, meanwhile I grated cheese and prepared my other pizza toppings.

I covered my baking stone with cornmeal, lightly floured the top of the dough ball, and dusted my rolling pin as well. Other than needing to re-dust the rolling pin a few times, this seemed to work well. We generally like thinner crust and this did the trick. The crust was baked in a 450° oven for 10-12 minutes. You want to remove it before it begins to brown.

Prepare the pizza was you desire and return it to the oven for another 8-10 minutes. We like the edges to be  a bit brown, so it was closer to 10 minutes. This recipe created a good homemade crust, although it is not perfect and I will continue to experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment