Sunday, March 27, 2011

Week 13 Part I

Bittersweet Chocolate Cookies  [pg 97 HFC]
These cookies went together very similar to Checkerboard Cookies [pg 112 HFC] which are a huge favorite at our house, and the cookies ended up being judged with those cookies in mind.

The dough went together very easily and the rolling into a log went as expected. The dough was a bit sticky, but the addition of a small amount of flour on hands and the waxed paper prevented the dough from sticking too much. You need the dough to be a bit sticky so the pecans will stay put on the roll. This ended up being my biggest pet peeve. Pecans are expensive and the finely chopped nuts would stay on the roll. Through the whole remaining process, my cookies were losing their nuts.

As I frosted the cookies, I was envisioning the mess these cookies could make if carried into another room while we are eating them, which often happens at our house. Granted, we have two furry little vacuum cleaners who are more than happy to sniff out the offending crumbs dropped to the floor, but not all homes are as lucky.

The frosting gives the cookies a better balance of bittersweet and semi-sweet, but dear hubby claims he would like them to be a bit more sweet. I admit to trying these cookies without the frosting and immediately noted I liked the chocolate part of the checkerboard cookie much better. If I desired a chocolatey, buttery cookie I would use checkerboard cookie dough and just make it all chocolate flavor.

Our cookie crumb scavengers.
Overall, these are a very pretty cookie and would be attractive on a cookie plate. They are very good, and few will find fault with them. They only earned four stars because they can't beat a checkerboard cookie and I don't like my expensive pecans dropping to the floor as treats for our Penny and Zoey Lyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment