Saturday, April 16, 2011

Week 14—Part I: Win/Lose Non Baking Adventure

A bit over a week ago, dear daughter had a hankering for cupcakes. My husband's sister was coming for dinner so after my dinner came out of the oven, cupcakes were to go in. Sadly, the oven got turned off and it wasn't realized until the timer for the cupcakes went off. Bummer! Oven was started again and we attempted to bake the cupcakes. The second time the timer went off, we had baked cupcakes. They didn't look quite right and there was concern they wouldn't taste right. Dear daughter didn't even want to bother frosting them, and I hate throwing food away, so I decided to try a trifle.

Now, I must emphasize, I did NOT bake. I stuck to my pledge to abstain from baking sweets for two weeks. Dear daughter baked and I just mixed a few things together; some whipped cream and chocolate pudding to be exact. I tore the cupcakes into fourths and layered the cake and chocolate stuff in a nice trifle bowl. The recipe originally called for brownie pieces to be layered with the chocolate stuff and after tasting my trifle, I admit I like the original brownie trifle much better.

The problem was the texture, at least for me. Although I tried the brownie trifle over a year ago, I distinctly remember the delightful combination of chewy brownie and smooth chocolate "fluff." The cake and fluff didn't have enough difference in texture to create that same sensation in my mouth. It was boring.

So, the cupcakes didn't go to waste and I did some adventure "baking" (not a normal thing for me). That is the win side. I create something boring; that is the lose side, and I did not bake.

1 comment: