Sunday, April 17, 2011

Week 16 Part I

Dinner Rolls [America's Test Kitchen Newsletter*]
Tomorrow we celebrate Lynsey and Jason's April birthdays. In honor of this special occasion, I decided to make homemade rolls following a recipe I found this morning. Unlike my mother's dinner roll recipe, this one does not contain eggs. My greatest regret, as I made these rolls, was that I do not have a Kitchen Aid mixer which could handle the dough kneading easily. My little Sunbeam was working very hard to mix the dough.

I like proofing the dough in a warm oven as it cuts the time down considerably. This small recipe only makes a dozen rolls forcing me to make two batches today in order to have enough for tomorrow's dinner. I plan to make dinner rolls for Easter as well, but I will use my mother's recipe. I will allow my bread machine to mix the dough, and after shaping the rolls, I will proof them the second time using the method in today's recipe. Hopefully, we can accurately compare the two recipes although there will be several days between the tastings.

My second batch today turned out much nicer than the first. I made note of the consistency of the dough on the second batch as it was much easier to shape into rolls. The first batch needed a couple tablespoons more flour so that it wasn't so sticky when shaping. The rolls of the second batch also look nicer (they are more even colored). My mother would be proud. The rolls feel light and soft and are very tasty, particularly with jam. :-) I doubt they will last long.

*You need to be a member of America's Test Kitchen to access their recipes. I shall honor their copyright and not retype the recipe for reposting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment