Sunday, April 17, 2011

Week 16 Part II

Fudge Nut Brownie Cookie ☆ [pg. 126 HFC]
As the recipe title states, these cookies are more a brownie bite than a cookie. If you are a person who likes the edges of the brownies, then you will love these cookies.

The ingredient list is short making the mixing a snap. I love that there are both chocolate chips and walnuts in the recipe. I love these two ingredients in cookies. I added the extra flour to make a thicker cookie although I wasn't sure they were thick enough when the first two batches came out of the oven.

I used my smallest cookie scoop to keep the cookies uniform. Although the dough is quite sticky, the scoop  worked pretty well. I love a sturdy cookie scoop! (I have never cared for the double spoon method of scooping cookies.) I made the first three batches on my baking stone and was disappointed with how difficult they were to get off the stone. Baking stones are not greased before use and this hindered the removal of the cookies. The cookies wanted to smoosh a bit, making them more oval than round, and this was frustrating. On the last batch, I used my shiny aluminum cookie sheet and these cookies looked thicker and came off the cookie sheet much easier. I did grease this cookie sheet before baking, and the cookies sat for a few minutes rather than just one one minute. Both these conditions attributed to the easy removal from the pan.

I frosted all the cookies, as noted in the recipe, and determined that a person could easily use their favorite chocolate frosting recipe rather than the canned frosting. Assuming you keep a box of brownie mix on hand, these cookies could be a good last minute dessert. I am wondering if our favorite "scratch" brownie mix could be slightly altered so that these brownie cookies could be made entirely from scratch.

It was hard to put off the taste test until my dinner was consumed, but I was firm. I choose one cookie baked on the baking stone and one baked on the shiny pan. Both cookies were very good with just the right mix of chocolate and nut, however the cookie baked on the shiny pan was more uniformly baked and the edges were done just right. I have made a note in my cookbook that these cookies must be baked on the aluminum cookie sheet. After tasting the second cookie (the one baked on the aluminum pan), I give this recipe five stars. I love the chewy edges of brownies and these cookies have that same great texture. Others who live in this house, and are known to cut brownies right out of the middle of the pan, will not agree with my assessment, but it isn't their blog now is it!

No comments:

Post a Comment